Monday, September 3, 2012

Rock Music, Literally

I really enjoyed a visit to the Luray Caverns in Virginia this weekend. During our tour, I heard the Stalacpipe Organ play. Leland Sprinkle, the organ's inventor, discovered that tapping a stalactite produced a note with an organ-like sound. It took 36 years to finish the organ. To me, it sounds a bit like bells. Take a listen:


One of my favorite spots in the Caverns was Dream Lake. The lake is so shallow and still that it perfectly reflects the stalactites above:

photo of Dream Lake by Owen Byrne

Luray Caverns' kids' activities

2 comments:

madelyn said...

Were you in Blacksburg over the weekend? We stopped at Luray a few years ago. The dream lake made me think of Harry Potter. (But then almost everything does.)

Tabatha said...

We were visiting my parents, but they aren't in the 'burg any more. I know what you mean about HP!