Monday, May 30, 2011

Blackout and All Clear

Time present and time past
Are both perhaps present in time future,
And time future contained in time past.
~ T.S. Eliot, Four Quartets (also quoted in All Clear)



I should have saved my post about military bands for this Monday, it being Memorial Day and all, but I didn't plan ahead.

I will tell you about Blackout and All Clear by Connie Willis, which are primarily set during World War II. They are really one book divided into two parts. I wouldn't say these books about time-traveling historians are for everybody, but they were completely my cup of tea. I enjoyed the puzzle aspect of them. They are some seriously complicated books. I loved learning details about life during the war.

At the heart of these stories, though, is an exploration of what it means to be a hero. Really beautiful books for Memorial Day, or any day.


Can't wait to share these books with my dad! Thank you, Connie Willis.

Addendum: I didn't mention Willis' Doomsday Book because it didn't fall under my Memorial Day theme, but I *loved* it. It explains how the time-travel process works, and I'm sending it to my dad first.

2 comments:

M Pax said...

I'm reading her "To Say Nothing of the Dog" right now. Also time travelers in that one.

Ελλάδα said...

Blackout by Connie Willis; audible version; didn't have a plot until 3/4 of the way through, lots of characters, characters didn't use much in the way of common sense, lots of technology errors.... and yet I still really liked this story. Mostly set in WW II London during the Blitz, Willis (despite her research errors) sets an evocative scene and builds compelling story-lines. I will definitely be listening to the second half of the story All Clear.